Your cart is currently empty!
What Is a Sugar Scrub?
Sugar scrubs may be made of two simple ingredients: sugar and a nut/seed oil like sunflower oil. You may choose to “amp up” a scrub with botanical ingredients, including essential oils but you don’t need to in order to reap the benefits. Sugar scrubs are also known as “Body Polishes,” just a slick term that sounds sexier than “scrub.” (Jump to the Simple Sugar Scrub Recipe!)
Why Pay $$ for Something You Can Make Yourself?
When you think about it, most products out on the market probably have humble roots and probably started out with basic, common ingredients like olive oil and sugar. What a lovely scrub that makes! Something that could even be the start of a cake!
When you get down to it, why are you paying what is probably too much $$$$ for something you could make yourself that doesn’t need to included unnecessary additives and preservatives? Before getting into the “how to,” let’s get into the “why…”
Benefits of Sugar Scrubs
- Stimulate: blood & lymph circulation
- Smooth: exfoliate & unblock pores
- Soften: nut/seed oils nourish
- Prepare: skin to receive a cream, lotion, butter or gel
- Sugar: support acid mantle, soften skin & attract moisture
- Nut/Seed Oils: soften & nourish
Getting Ready: Supplies
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Lidded container to hold the scrub
- Organic with small crystals
- The coarser the granule the more likely it may micro tear skin and take longer to dissolve
- Nut/Seed oils of your choice:
- Organic: sunflower, olive, sesame or sweet almond
- Tip: keep it simple as you experiment with the easy-to-find oils listed
- Tip: choose the best oil for your skin type
- Tip: Don’t forget to mix it up by blending multiple oils together!
- Optional additives:
- Make it super aromatic with Essential oilsGround coffeeGround OatsFruit PowdersDried flowers (powdered)
- Tip: Opt for ground or powdered ingredients.
- This increases the surface area of the plant material, enhancing the ability to work with your skin
- Tip: Be mindful of what you are putting down the drain to avoid clogging the pipes!
Simple Sugar Scrub Recipe
- Note: this recipe makes 1 cup!
- Measure out 3-4 tbsp of nut/seed oil(s) into the mixing bowl
- If using essential oils:
- Choose 1-3 essential oils
- Dispense a total of 15-20 drops into the nut/seed oil and stir to combine
- Measure out 14 tbsp of sugar and add it to the bowl
- Add 2 tbsp of your optional additives to the sugar
- Mix the ingredients together; the texture should be like damp sand
- Transfer the mixture to your container & affix the lid
An Essential Oil Blend for Sleep
The following idea are for one small batch (1 cup/~250 ml) with 1% essential oils. May they inspire you to make your own scrub!
Calm & Relax
- 30 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) or Coriander seed (Coriandrum sativum)
- 5 drops Roman chamomile (Anthemis nobilis) or Catnip (Nepeta cataria)
- 12 drops Sweet marjoram (Origanum majorana) or Clary sage (Salvia sclarea)
Learn More About Making Your Own Sugar Scrubs Including Formulating Guidelines and Essential OIlsBlending Ideas!
DIY Series: Aromatherapy Sugar Scrubs
Create your own sugar scrub that is luxurious, accessible, and affordable! In this Aromatherapy Sugar Scrub foundation class, Amy encourages you to use your creativity and ‘have fun’ while building your sugar scrub with essential oils. In this class, you will receive recipes and blending inspirations, an engaging video, and a PowerPoint with information and extra tips. This video introduction gives you an awesome sneak-peak. Scroll down to learn more about class content. See you in class!